Brummana High School was founded in 1873 by Theophilus Waldmeier, a Swiss missionary, who joined the Society of Friends and became a Quaker. Waldmeier first came to Lebanon in 1867 and was engaged as inspector of branch schools in Beirut, the mountains and Damascus. In 1873, he came to Brummana and took charge of the Quaker Girls School. During the subsequent year he bought Birket el Ghanam (20000 square yards of property), changed its name to Ayn es Salam, and was authorised by owners, the Friends Syrian Mission, to build the Training Home for boys which now is Brummana High School.
Get connected, share discussions and join our events